Monday, July 26, 2010

Just a Kid again


I got to be a kid again yesterday. . . . .if only for a little while. I threw away the trappings of my so called "life" and reveled in what only kids get to do . . .be carefree and curious. And while we may all want to do that every day- rarely do we get the opportunity.

Yesterday was different. When the adult activity was just too boring for the beautiful day that it was, I set off on an adventure of my own. An adventure of exploration.

As a kid I used to love to run through the empty fields by my house. I would pretend to be an explorer, would play house in abandoned sheds or find tree houses built by kids who had grown up and moved on.

While there were no abandoned sheds or tree houses- there were paths through the woods leading to a lake, to muddy vistas, to savannas full of butterfly bushes, raspberry vines, chickweed, sumac and other remembrances of my childhood.

My friend who went with me- forged a path through the fields, and sometimes, we lost sight of each other so high was the foliage. We happened upon children fishing, dogs frolicking in the water, and any number of birds singing on this beautiful day.It flashed me back to being that kid with mosquito bitten legs chasing after my friends all those many years ago.

When I returned home- I had a smile on my face and I didn't know why until this very moment. I got to be a kid again. A curious, adventurous, don't worry about the mud on my shoes, caution to the wind, kid.

Where do we lose that adventurous spirit along the way? Are we so caught up in being an adult that we forget the fun things in life? Does experience teach us that there are too many dangers around that next path, that next turn, and that it's easier to sit back and watch life go by?

I don't know the answers. But I do know for just a minute, I was a kid again. And that was the greatest feeling in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment