Thursday, July 1, 2010

In my Mother's Mirror


On my last visit home to my parent's house, as I bounded down the stairs the way I did for all the years I lived there, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror at the bottom of the stairs. And I thought of all the things that mirror had seen during my life in that house.

That mirror became the inspiration for this blog as "From the Looking Glass" is a blog about my view on things that intersect my life each and every day. Just like that mirror that saw me basically grow up and reflected those years back to me, so is this blog a reflection of things around me.

That mirror was a focal point. It was where I knew I was growing taller as I couldn't see me in it originally unless I climbed up a stair or two, or my dad gave me a "lift up". And then one day I could stand on the floor and see my reflection.

It was the mirror that I would practice my singing in front of to see how I looked belting out a Carole King song for my junior high talent competition.

It was the mirror that watched me practice lines for a play- going over and over the same scene until it was perfected.

It was the mirror that I would check my makeup in as I dashed out the front door for a date.

And it was the last thing I saw as I pulled the door shut and moved into my own apartment.

Many years have passed since I lived in that house, but that mirror is still there. I again wish it was animate and could share the stories of the lives in that house with me.

But it is enough for me to know that it reflects back a life of love, of family and friends, and of happiness and laughter. And that's just what this blog is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment