Friday, June 18, 2010

Women dressing for Women?

So a male friend of mine the other night tells me that he prefers women not to get all "gussied up" but just to be themselves. A simple t-shirt and cardigan could be more attractive than a low cut blouse and "big hair", according to him. In fact- he went so far to tell me, as he looked around the bar, that if he had to choose,he'd choose women from a group of softball players who were, in fact, pretty "real" with their pony tails and shorts, versus those who looked like they were going to a wedding or fancy party. His theory? Women really are just dressing to compete with other women out there.

"Really?", I asked. "Men are such visual creatures. I find that surprising".

After all-magazines and movies that appeal to men are so obvious in their approach. But as I write this- I remember other similar conversations with men over the years. Men who used words like "pretty girl, but I'd like her better without all that make up" or "too much of a good thing" being their way of saying the simpler and more down to earth is better.

So are we women really just dressing for each other? Is each ohh and ahh over a pair of shoes, or dress just a foil for what we are really thinking which is "I wish I wore that", or "She's going to get all the attention tonight"? Is it a competition of the highest sort, where at the end of the day, there are really no winners? For at the end of it all, isn't just being yourself, the best thing?

If my friend is right- it's what's under all that facade that is important. And that seems to be the thing we spend the least amount of time on these days.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said, Carol. I agree that we men aren't given enough credit for being able to accept the real "you" (women) behind the facade. I think that if you want a man to like you for who you really are on the inside, why not start by letting us see who you really are on the outside first?

    BTW, congratulations on your new blog! I'll be eagerly awaiting your next topic & discussion that follows, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all well and good but I have also heard how much they love a woman in a skirt and heals. I think you have to be diverse and wear what makes you fully expressed and they flock like bees to honey because they see your confidence and love of self! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete